Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cake Decorating

So...I've been taking a cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby on Monday evenings! I REALLY love it. Sure, you could buy the book and teach yourself...but what fun is that!? Plus I'm a hands-on learner! First class I was intimidated, 2nd class discouraged since my icing was like cement and my cake was TOO moist and my icing literally PEELED my cake up! OH well, a little help from the instructor and all worked out.

Before class started (the day before) my husband took a picture of me with my CUTE cupcake apron one of my former co-workers from Amarillo made me! :) (Cupcake pattern, SO me!)


So, week one we did basics! We decorated "practiced" the star tip with sugar cookies.

 
 
Week 2 we had to bring a cake, make our own icing (week before with cookies it was Wilton's icing!), and we had to FILL our cake. I made a yellow cake and filled it with pineapple. It was "Okay". I used almond extract in my icing...never again. I'm more of a vanilla extract girl! Here's my finished cake (My cake had "freckles" like me...yep, the crumbs were ALL in my icing! Ohhh well!)We had to pipe the outline on, and use our new pointers we learned in class to decorate!


                                      

After week 2 I felt more "confident" and we had a pot-luck luncheon at work. SO I decided to make a Fall cake! It started off slow...and I just kept going. I wasn't going to do a gel outline, but when I decided to go for it, it went and I just went with it! Here's my "step-by step", and honestly...it was picture by picture JUST in case something got screwed up, I'd have PROOF it started good. HAH!





 
It was a strawberry cake, double layered, with pineapple filling. Everyone LOVED it, taste wise AND decoration wise! :) YAY!
 
 
 
 
Week THREE was cupcake week! YAY! When we learned how to "ice a cupcake", all I could think is..."Wow...had I just KNOWN it was so easy!" I did some of these in class, then came home to finish them and by now I'm sure they are HISTORY! (I took them to work!) They are confetti cake (my favorite!) with the buttercream icing. We learned how to do leaves, flowers, "shaggy flowers" and swirl roses :)



 
I personally think it's going GREAT. I'm loving it and I plan to continue the classes...hopefully Santa brings me some of the "wish list" items I have for my upcoming classes to do awesome stuff!


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment